Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A typical exchange at work...

So, we get an email from payroll that says "As of Jan. 1, 2009 employees will be automatically enrolled in our 401(k) profit sharing plan unless you opt out."

So, my great friend and co-worker Linda, stands up, peers over our shared cubicle wall and says "So now they are forcing us to participate in the 401k?"

"No, you can opt out of it if you want, they are just saying that unless you specifically tell them you don't want to do it, then they will go ahead and enroll you."

"Sooo... we have to do the 401k now?"

"No, you don't have to, you just need to sign a form and tell them that you don't want to participate."

"But what if I don't want to do it?"

arrggghhh "Then fill out the form and check the box that says you opt out of the profit sharing plan."

"So... I have to fill out a form if I don't want to do it?"

"Yes. Yes. Yes."

Sometimes I want to stick a screwdriver in my ear and pound it in with a hammer.

No comments: