Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My impression of beating dead horse redux...

To finish up this rousing exercise in futility, I would like the last word (since it is my blog after all).

A few points-

HOW we get rid of the insurance companies is a moot point because this is more of a philosophical debate than an actual policy debate. But if you must know, neither Spencer or I believe in a pure capitalist system. Look up Adam Smith, the father of modern economics and you will see the kind of system we are talking about- one where the government does regulate business to certain extent to prevent monopolies, cabals, and collusion. When companies or businesses worry about their own business, they will innovate and find ways to keep costs down to attract customers. When a group of businesses get together and decide how much they are going to charge (i.e. insurance companies and doctors) then you have collusion and cabals. This does in fact hurt the consumer by eliminating competition in the market place.

So you would break up insurance companies with anti-trust suits and regulation. In some areas you would deregulate such as eliminating State License boards and Clinical License who protect only those doctors and insurance companies in their own state, or those they have a relationship with eliminating competition from Nurse Practitioners or other health care professionals who would like to offer a low cost alternative to the doctor.

As far as a safety net is concerned- yes, expand medicare and medicaid for those that need it, those that cannot afford to pay for their own health care, poor people. If you have a chronic illness, then I think that would fall under the auspices of a catastrophic (maybe we should call it a long term insurance plan) insurance plan, as the costs to constantly get medication and medical care would be higher than someone who has the sniffles every once in a while.

And if you tell me that Medicare/Medicaid (and yes, I know that medicare is a program for seniors over 65, and medicaid is a federally funded, state administered program for low income or needy people) are not good programs, then you would need to convince me how a single payer system would be administered any differently from these two government run health systems.

The problem with this whole discussion is there is a lot of assuming going on- just because we don't like Obamacare or a single payer system does not mean that we are fine with the current state of events, or that we are raging libertarians that want something to the right of anarchy in this country.

We just happen to think that our ideas are feasible ideas that would accomplish the same goals that anyone else wants- to improve the healthcare system and allow EVERYONE to take a part of the same quality as anyone else. My believing in a free market solution does not mean that I hate poor people, or somehow lack compassion for those that are needy and unfortunate with afflictions that they have no control over. I also don't believe that anyone who advocates a single payer or government run option loves Marxism and is lazy.

Does our free market plan have flaws? Sure. Does a government run, single payer system have flaws? It sure does. They both have their fair share of flaws, and I guess it comes down to which flaws you are willing to live with.

I entitled the post "beating a dead horse" because I have had many discussions with numerous people on this very same issue over the past few years, and yet I have not been convinced to change my mind on the issue, nor have I changed anyone else's mind. I suppose discussions like this are good for getting the blood flowing a little bit, or perhaps revisiting your beliefs- but beyond that they are of little value.

That being said, I do enjoy a good discussion every now and again, and rarely do I get frustrated with people to the point where I am mad at them. Spencer is still my brother and my homeboy, and Jon is still a great friend who makes sitting through Elder's Quorum bearable.

P.S. If I had to pick the current Obamacare system (which I believe wholeheartedly has benefited insurance companies more than people) and a single-payer system, I would choose the single payer system. I suppose if I was really honest with myself I would rather have crappy, horrible, cheap, Dr. Nick style healthcare in a single payer system than have this Obamacare travesty which has just managed to put more money in the insurance companies pocket.

PEACE- I'M OUT!