Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Conclusions

I grow tired of the healthcare discussion…it displeases me.  So this will be the last post on healthcare for a while.  We have had a rousing discussion, and points were made on both sides, but in all seriousness, I think we are all intelligent people that have already made our minds up.  We could spend months going back and forth on this issue, and since this is my totalitarian blog, I choose to move on after this post.            

But first, a few last thoughts on the bill.  Sharel’s post sums up nicely what the philosophical opposition to this bill is.  By mandating that we have to do something, we are being deprived of a choice to make.  Like it or not, this diminishes our agency.  I feel, and Sharel does too, that we have an obligation as a disciple of Christ to help the poor and the needy and the sick.  The key word is WE, not the government.  When the government takes over, it too diminishes our ability to take care of the poor and the needy.  Agency in this life means suffering and unfairness abound.  Opposing this healthcare bill does not mean we don’t care about the poor or the needy.  It doesn’t mean that we like the way the system is run right now.  It doesn’t mean we are ok with people going through bankruptcy because from no fault of their own, they became ill.  These are things that need to be addressed, but I don’t think this bill addresses any of this.              

In fact, I think this bill is going to really hurt me and my family.  We are the people stuck in the middle that make too much for help, but not enough to cover all the proposed costs.  Sharel and I have worked hard to manage our finances, and we have less going out in money than we have coming in not because we make a lot, but because we have gone without a lot of things such as cell phones, or flat screen TV’s, new clothes, etc.  I would bet that I make less than most people reading this blog, and if you want to know how much I make, just ask, and I will shoot you an email.  All that hard work is being threatened by rising health care premiums to meet the government mandates.  And that is not me speculating what is going to happen, that is an acknowledged fact.  I don’t want to break the law, but if it is the difference of having to go on welfare because I can’t afford to pay my bills, or Sharel having to go to work or pay the $695 penalty, I will pay the $695 penalty.  I will take my chances with not being obedient to the laws of the land.  And if we get sick, we will sign up for insurance.  It sucks, and I won’t be proud of it, but I will not make Sharel work outside the home, it is too important that she raise our kids, not a daycare.

 

So that being said, I will move on.  And what will amuse me in the future?  Shall we talk about current political events?  Perhaps.  But probably not.  I think I will turn back to a rousing discussion of guns.  A few upcoming debates- .223 vs 7.62.  Glock vs. FNp.  AK vs AR.  Perhaps other debates, such as Courtesy flushes, who do they really help?  ’68 Camaro vs. ’76 Camaro.  K5 Blazer or Bronco?  Maybe I will have some more venting posts, such as what frustrates me about Boy Scouts, or working in an office full of women with only two toilets, one of which is a ladies room, the other a unisex restroom.  Or why Newsradio was the funniest sitcom ever on television.  Whatever I desire…

Peace- I’m out!

4 comments:

jon said...

I'm sorry if I offended. I really wasn't trying to say that you guys are bad people. You guys know that you're the sweetest, cuddliest little right-wing family ever to be dropped straight out of heaven.
Tell ya what? If I ever finish my masters degree and end up with my own practice, you can come see me when your kids have pink eye, and I won't charge for the office visit.
I'll give my two last cents:
I think that when a person gets sick or hurt, healthcare suddenly becomes a right and not a priveledge. It's a really expensive right, but a right nonetheless. It drives me crazy that our country can justify borrowing billions upon billions of dollars to fight two pointless wars, give hundreds of billions more to companies that make inferior products and/or bad investments, but it can't pay for little Sally's leukemia.
We do have the resources to keep America healthy, but we spend it on ridiculous salaries for idiot executives and building infrastructure for corrupt, hateful people in the middle east.
I like Olsens, though.

Danny said...

I am not offended at all. In fact, if I ever become a millionaire, I will charitably pay for all your medical expenses! Really, though, I can understand where you are coming from. I think you are right though, the US spends an awful lot of money on pointless things. We do have vast resources that could be spent on things more productive than building olympic size indoor tracks and swimming pools in public high schools, or on the wars which at this point are getting a little ridiculous. I think we agree more than we both would probably like to admit.
But, we are far from offended. In fact you are my favorite little ObamaLover ever.
P.S.- I am assuming you don't have guns, being an ObamaLover and all, and so when the Zombie Apocalypse happens, feel free to run right over and I will protect you with my vast arsenal of Zombie killing weapons.
P.P.S. Sharel says she will be mad if you don't send over those recipes you promised....

jon said...

I actually don't have as much a problem with guns as you might think. I've considered getting one, not to fight zombies, but to discourage hooligans from stealing our cars, mail, and scrap metal, as has happened to our neighbors.
(I prefer to kill zombies at close range with baseball bats, long knives, and power tools. I like to feel the squish.)

Danny said...

HA! See, we are a lot alike, you and I. We both like to kill zombies. And I like guns to discourage the little neighbor kids from stepping on my lawn.

P.S. I hope I didn't offend you either with our posts. You have, good sir, caused me to think, and to see another angle on the whole debate.

(for the lurkers out there, before you get all upset,I am just kidding, I don't really like to kill zombies.)